May 24, 2011

Healthy mind, healthy body

The Biggest Loser Challenge I was in and has come to an end. I was one of the winners, tying with another mummy. I'm proud of the weight loss, and people are definitely noticing, however I am still a good 20 pounds from the weight I would like to be at and where I would feel healthy.

I have now vowed to make a much bigger effort with the continuation of my healthy lifestyle, in part because of a health problem that has now arisen. 

I'd had the pain a number of times, but never though twice about it. I'm not the type of person to complain to others about pains I have, so I'd never mentioned it. I tended to blame it on the under wire in my bra digging into me or on carrying the baby around too much and figuring it was just muscle pain. However, one night last week, I couldn't take it. I was so close to waking my husband to say that I was going to drive myself to the ER, but I didn't bother. I was moaning and groaning, something I never do, I always keep that sort of thing to myself, but I just could not take the pain anymore. I didn't know what to do with myself. I took deep breaths, I walked around, I lay in every position possible, but to no avail. Nothing alleviated the pain. I finally put a wet cloth soaked in hot water on the affected area and that seemed to soothe the pain slightly. Of course, the heat lasts about 30 seconds and then disappears. I know we have a hot water bottle and I can picture it in the basement, somewhere. I didn't have the energy to go look for it, so I decided to wet the towel again and try to go to sleep. It worked. The pain lessened enough for me to be able to fall asleep. After 2 hours of intense pain, I was asleep. I told my father about it the next day and suggested I go have an ultrasound just to make sure nothing was wrong. I had it done a few days later and found out the next day that I have gallstones. At home, I spent some time reading up on them on the internet and I find the whole thing really icky. Bile deposits forming stones. Gross. Really gross. Although not totally proven, diet is said to be a big factor in their formation, and it definitely affects their movement. Whether they try to pass through to the pancreas or not.  So, that's what I had, pancreatitis due to a stone trying to pass from my gallbladder to my pancreas. I don't know why I find it gross, my mom thinks that's funny, but I do. I've been eating such crap that it made stones, pebbles, rocks! Inside my body! That is outrageous! So, after having some blood work done to confirm everything, it has been decided that I need to have surgery to have my gallbladder removed. Oh joy. It will be a laparoscopic surgery, done with a small incision and a camera inserted, so as long as everything goes well, I will leave the hospital a few hours later. A friend of the family will be performing the surgery, and I have full faith in him and am not worried at all. The only thing is the anesthesia. You never know what will happen when you get put under. I will think positive, but am going to have my will done up regardless!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...